Thursday, July 9, 2009

Anniversary of the Martyrdom of the Báb

THE BARRACK-SQUARE IN TABRIZ, IRAN WHERE THE BÁB SUFFERED MARTYRDOM. PILLAR ON THE RIGHT MARKED "X" IS THE PLACE WHERE HE WAS SUSPENDED AND SHOT BY A FIRING SQUAD OF 750 SOLDIERS, JULY 9, 1850 AT NOON.

“Whom do you claim to be,” he asked the Báb, “and what is the message which you have brought?” “I am,” thrice exclaimed the Báb, “I am, I am, the promised One! I am the One whose name you have for a thousand years invoked, at whose mention you have risen, whose advent you have longed to witness, and the hour of whose Revelation you have prayed God to hasten. Verily I say, it is incumbent upon the peoples of both the East and the West to obey My word and to pledge allegiance to My person.”

-The Dawn-Breakers: Nabíl’s Narrative of the Early Days of the Bahá’í Revelation. pp. 315-316

Link to the narrative of the Martyrdom of the Báb

No comments:

Post a Comment